Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Preschool!

For the first time in my life I was the nightmare parent... talking endlessly to the teacher at the meet the teacher day and calling her at home at night. I just didn't know how Gracie was going to handle preschool and how preschool was going to handle Gracie! She has been home a year but she hasn't had anything new to deal with lately. Church nursery and speech are old news. We still have some anxiety at each but have learned to cope. I really didn't know if going to preschool would be traumatic or exciting for Gracie. Our pediatrician, Pia, really recommended that 1. Gracie go to preschool and that 2. I should NOT be the room Mom. So, I just decided to go with that. Gracie was nervous at the meet the teacher morning and kept repeating her usual... I don't want Mommy to go... mantra. Several times we practiced going in and doing our goodbye routine. She seemed excited about it all but I know from experience that at the moment we actually have to separate she panics. Mrs. Good said she would be there to peel Gracie off me and that I should head for the door quickly. My heart wrenched thinking about it. I have done it MANY times for nursery and for babysitters but her siblings are always with her. Even at church Cody is in her class and I stayed with them in class for at least the first 6 weeks. For preschool, I didn't know if she would be convinced that I would return. Does she trust me yet? Does she think that this is the next "big change"? I made sure her teacher knew to call me if she shut down or was hysterical for more than a short time. Mrs. Good was so gracious and even called me the night before the first day suggesting I bring Gracie a few minutes late so she could focus on just her and asking what she likes and if she likes hugs or high fives. But DON'T YOU KNOW, after all of my obsessing she did GREAT! Although she was a little nervous she did not cry or scream. She was SO PROUD of herself... her book bag... her outfit... her homework. When I returned she was all smiles. Her teacher said... Gracie did great, Praise the Lord! She played nicely and shared with her friends! She was so happy to see me. Sometimes when I go somewhere without her she snubs me when I get home because she is angry with me for being away from her. She was so cuddly and happy the rest of the day. I must say it felt like such a wonderful culmination of such an intense first year home. The second day of preschool was the same. The director, Mrs. Keeney, stands outside the door and said how glad she was that Gracie had such a great first day and that many prayers had gone up on her behalf. What wonderful people and what a Great God. I am sure I will again obsess over the next milestone for Gracie but I am just relishing this one at the moment!

1 comment:

  1. I'm so happy to read this. My boys are also doing so well there. I'm so thankful for this preschool. Something tells this little is gonna be a key part of breakthroughs and healing for our sweet children. I will add Gracie to my preschool prayers.

    ReplyDelete